New York, NY
- Non-profit?: No (2 votes)
- Musician-run?: No (2 votes)
- Rental fee?: No (2 votes)
- Books local acts?: Yes (1 vote)
- Books out-of-town acts?: Yes (2 votes)
- Promotes the acts it hires?: No (2 votes)
- Piano?: No (2 votes)
- Keyboard?: No (1 vote)
- Drumset?: No (1 vote)
- Keyboard amp?: No (1 vote)
- Guitar amp?: No (1 vote)
- Bass amp?: No (1 vote)
- Direct box?: Yes (1 vote) No (1 vote)
- PA system?: Yes (1 vote) No (1 vote)
- Sound person?: No (2 votes)
- Stage?: Yes (2 votes)
- Backstage/Green Room?: No (2 votes)
- Space for dancing?: Yes (2 votes)
- Primarily background music?: No (2 votes)
- Serves Food?: Yes (1 vote) No (1 vote)
- Liquor License?: Yes (2 votes)
- Capacity: 50-300 (2 votes)
Reviews from musicians
I strongly advise musicians against playing at this venue. I used to play here regularly with several bands, and for a while it seemed like a good deal. The band had to bring their own door person but kept 100% of the door, and with a ten dollar cover and a decent walk in crowd, everyone would leave with a reasonable chunk of change on a Friday or Saturday (or even Thursday) night. While the management was never particularly *nice* to the musicians, you're not looking for friends from the bar when you play any LES venue.
At some point, it seemed that things changed. The venue has an upstairs and a downstairs, and the bouncer outside started asking people whether or not they were coming to see the band (upstairs). If they were, then they were sent inside to the band's upstairs doorperson and if not, the bouncer collected the cover and sent the customers to the DJ downstairs. The problem is that with good high energy bands, the people who initially came in for the DJ all started going up into the upstairs venue for the band. This meant a full house of people who had paid money to enter the club, but NONE of that money was going to the band.
After some attempted negotiations with the management to work out an equitable solution, we were completely stonewalled and chose to cancel all of our upcoming shows at this venue.
I can't really speak to the pay at this club, but it was a pretty fun time playing here. Usually there are DJs but in this case we had a couple brass bands playing live and lots of people crowded in dancing. Not an amazing space, but fun. I heard it was better before it moved from Canal St.